Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Must Watch Chinese Kung Fu Movie

  If you didn't already know, I'm a huge fan of martial arts and kung fu movies. My top 5 martial arts/kung fu movie actors are Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Tony Jaa, and Sammo Hung (not in that particular order). From looking at my list, you may be asking yourself, "Where's Bruce Lee?" Well, not to say Bruce isn't a good actor, but I personally have more of a taste for movies with a modern day/contemporary feeling. I choose my favorite actors based not just solely on choreography, but also on character and personality. Anyways... moving on to the topic at hand.
  So lately I've been watching quite a few Asian martial arts/kung fu flicks and decided maybe I should blog about my one of my favorites, since I currently have nothing else to blog about. After much contemplation and review, I chose "Ip Man (2008)" aka Yip Man as my top favorite movie. "Ip Man" directed by Wilson Yip, is a semi-biographical account of Yip Man, the famous Wing Chun grandmaster, depicting his life story. Since it is a semi-biography, that means about only 2/3 of the movie is actually based on a true story, while the other parts were added in for movie/entertainment purposes. So if your really interested in learning the true story of Yip Man, you should go look up on Google or some books. 
  I couldn't agree more with the film director's decision to cast Donnie Yen as Yip Man, whom I must say does an outstanding performance. I just can't see any other actor to fit so perfectly well in the role of Yip Man as Donnie Yen does. The storyline of the movie itself, takes place in China when ruled by the Imperial Japanese Army and the Sino-Japanese War is happening. In short, the plot is about the Japanese oppressing the Chinese, and then the Chinese decide it's time to stand up for themselves and fight back. The storyline isn't much new from what we've seen in other movies such as Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" but the character's personalities and emotions were all there. The fight scenes and choreography, however, blew me away. This movie is definitely worth watching and if your a fan of kung fu movies, then I suggest you watch "Ip Man."
  The sequel to this movie "Ip Man 2 (2010)" actually already came out. I do not wish to talk full length on this movie right now, but I would just like to say, IMO, I felt it wasn't as great as the first movie. The realism and powerful story seen in the first movie seemed to have been lost. Overall, the movie had a good story, good amount of fight scenes, and very fun to watch. Ip Man 3 is still undecided, but if decided to be made, it is rumored that Jay Chou might play the role of Bruce Lee.



No comments:

Post a Comment